You Got This! Exam Tips from People who Passed the Test
All of the 100,000 credentialed members of AMT have taken and passed a rigorous certification exam. How did the people who passed the certification exam prepare for success? What worked for them? Read the quick tips from current AMT members about finding study materials, getting your timing right, and prepping strategies.
Exam Tips from People Who Passed the Test
Each of the 100,000 current members of AMT has taken and passed a rigorous credentialing exam. Not everyone passed on the first attempt. But they did pass. If you meet the eligibility criteria to sit for a certification exam, with the right preparation there is a good opportunity for your success!
We asked AMT members what worked for them. Here is their advice for you along with their best wishes for success—they were in your position at one time, too.
- Study from the Exam Content Outline and Reference Material resources on the AMT website. They are free and tell you what content will be covered on the exam.
- Build confidence, practice, and pace yourself with one of those great AMT practice exams.
- Buy a review book and take the tests after each chapter.
- Flash cards with sample questions, formulas, and hard-to-remember tables worked for me!
- I had two study buddies, and we reviewed flash cards over and over. We all passed!
- I took the practice exam and focused my studies on the topics I got wrong.
- Find the answers to the practice exam questions in your textbook and highlight them. Read over the highlighted areas so you understand the concepts. Good luck!
- If you’re just finishing school, take the exam as soon as you can while everything is fresh in your head. Don’t wait!
- If you find yourself getting frustrated, take a break from studying.
- I studied in intervals, so I didn’t get overloaded.
Before the exam
- Eat a healthy meal, get a good night’s rest, and tell yourself this is what you prepared for. You got this!
- The night before your exam, don’t study, just rest and relax. Take a long, hot bath or shower and go to bed at a decent hour.
- Eat healthy, protein-packed meals the day of your exam.
- Don’t cram the morning of your exam.
- Don’t doubt yourself! Remember that you’ve made it this far and you’re doing great!
During the exam
- Focus and concentrate on the exam; it’s the most important thing that day!
- Before beginning the test, I wrote everything I could remember on the scrap paper. I referred to it later in the exam.
- Take your time. Block out the rest of the room and read each question carefully!
- Don’t spend too much time on one question. If you are not sure, mark an answer and flag the question so you can go back to it.
- Use the process of elimination to get rid of the answers that make no sense, and then go with your first instinct. It’s usually right.
- I took the whole time available to me.