How does a medical assistant ensure that the patient has the necessary information to manage their disease condition and healing process? Learn more in this article from Journal of Continuing Education.
It is up to the medical assistant to help the patient understand their condition through education. The basic steps necessary for effective patient education are:
- Assessment – pulling together information about the patient’s abilities and needs
- Planning – using the information gathered from the assessment phase to decide how to establish the patient instruction program
- Implementation – process used to perform the actual patient teaching
- Evaluation – determining if the patient education was effective
- Documentation – writing a record for the patient’s chart that verifies the training took place
Journal of Continuing Education: Topics and Issues
Excerpted from Step 452: Patient Education in the Medical Setting
Read the full article and compete the content quiz for CE credit. Just$5 for members and $15 for non-members.