CERTIFICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Certified Medical Administrative Specialist
1. Applicant shall meet one of the following eligibility routes:
ROUTE 1 (EDUCATION): Applicant shall be a graduate of, or scheduled to graduate from, an accredited medical office administrative program. 1,2,3,4
ROUTE 2 (RMA CERTIFICANT): Applicant shall be certified as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA), or equivalent, and possess a minimum of two years of recent full-time experience working as a medical office administrative specialist.
ROUTE 3 (WORK EXPERIENCE): Applicant shall have been employed as a medical office administrative specialist for a minimum of five of the past seven years. Proof of high school graduation (or equivalent) is required.
2. Applicant shall take and pass the appropriate AMT certification examination.
1. Accredited program: Program or institution is accredited by a regional or national accreditation agency approved by the US Department of Education, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or otherwise approved by the AMT Board of Directors
2. All training programs should include a minimum of 720 program clock hours (or equivalent) in medical office administrative skills, including a clinical externship of no less than 160 hours in duration (or as required by state law).
3. The training programs must have been structured to include at least the following content areas: 1) medical records management, 2) health care insurance processing, coding and billing, 3) office financial responsibilities, and 4) information processing.
4. Applicants seeking certification under eligibility Route 1 must have graduated from their academic programs within the past four years. Applicants whose date of graduation is four years or more prior to the date of their application must also provide evidence of relevant work experience for at least three of the last five years.